I look out of my window onto a sunlit street. Spring is in the air and the trees are full of sparrows chasing each other through the branches. High above the, sitting quietly on the rooftops, are the doves, which watch all that's going on, but don't get involved. The most they seem to do is nod and bow politely to their friends.
*
David, the well-known giant killer, when he was hiding from the wrath of Saul, used to peer out of the cave, see the doves and envy their liberty. He wrote:
*
"My heart is in anguish within me,
the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
Fear and trembling find me,
and awful horror overwhelms.
O that I had wings like a dove!
I would fly away and be at rest;
yes, I would wander afar;
I would make my home in the wilderness,
in a shelter from this raging wind and tempest."
*
David was trapped, just as we might be trapped by our circumstances, but he was not forgotten.
*
The wandering teacher, unlike David, didn't say much about doves. He did, however, draw us a lesson from the sparrows.
*
"Sparrows," he said, "are so common that two are sold in the market for a penny, yet none of them falls to the ground unless it's the will of your Father. So there is nothing for you to worry about because your Father values you more than any number of sparrows."
*
These words, I hope, will give reassurance and courage to us all.
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment