I look out of the window. Fluffy white clouds are floating along in the sky. The sun shines brightly on the red-brick houses across the road. There are blue and yellow flowers peeping up through the grass - a sign of new life - so why is it that my mind is filled with gloomy thoughts of death?
.
The answer lies in something I read this morning:
.
It's the record of the events leading up to the conflict between Achish, king of Gath and leader of the Philistines, and Saul, who ruled over Israel. The Philistines had set up camp outside the town of Shunem (which is now called Solem) and the Israelis were assembled at the foot of Mount Gilboa. Outmanoeuvred, outnumbered, and with the morale of his men at an all-time low, Saul was terrified of the forthcoming battle - and that's why he did what he did.
.
He began, quite sensibly, by going to God for guidance. With the prophet Samuel now dead, this meant that Saul was obliged to ask the high priest to pray for him - which the man did, but was unable to give him an answer. Neither did anyone arrive to deliver a message from God and even Saul's dreams gave him no guidance.
.
Finally, in his desperation, Saul turned to what before he had always avoided - the occult - and instructed his men to search the area for a medium. Eventually they found one for him in the town of Endor (now known as ‘En-dûr now) which lies four miles south of Mount Tabor. So by night, disguised and accompanied by only two trusted men, he went to visit the house of the medium.
.
"Consult a spirit for me," he said, "and bring up the man that I name."
.
"That's illegal," she said. "If Saul ever finds out about it, I'll be put to death."
.
"No, I promise you won't," he said, and he swore a great oath to confirm the rash promise. Then he asked the woman to raise up Samuel the prophet.
.
She did so, and screamed when Samuel appeared.
.
"You've deceived me!" she shouted. "You are Saul!"
.
He acknowledged the truth of this and threw himself full-length on the ground.
.
"Why have you disturbed me?" demanded Samuel.
.
"Because I had to!" cried Saul. "I'm fighting the Philistines and God has deserted me. He no longer answers by prophets or dreams, and I don't know what to do next!"
.
"If God has turned away from you and become your enemy, what can I do to help?" asked Samuel. "I told you this would happen. Today, God has taken the kingdom from you and given it to your neighbour David because you refused to obey Him. And tomorrow the Philistines will defeat Israel, then you and your sons will join me here."
.
And that is precisely what happened.
.
Are there any of Saul's mistakes we can learn from before we make them ourselves? Yes, I think this story has at least three important things to teach us:
.
1. Obey God at all times.
.
2. Keep in touch with Him - directly, that means by prayer.
.
3. Don't turn to mediums for guidance - or anything else they may offer.
.
Now I commend you to God and His love, and trust you will know the power of His blessing - until we meet next time.
.
Friday, February 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment